November 12, 2011

Rὸu gῠ chά KiNG...'Bak-kut-teh'

Roh..Roh ku...erm, I had always wondered what the restaurant offered.  I am a 'banana' so I could not make out the name.   My family and I had walked past this restaurant many times before. Rὸu gῠ chά KiNG a nondescript restaurant situated among a row of shops.  We decided to pay it a visit. I had to find out what it had to offer. 
We placed our order after looking through the menu.  The waiter recommended that we take the Double Value Meal (rm31.90 for 2 pax), and it would be sufficient for us.  Right until then we were still in the dark as to the kind of food served. All I knew was it would have meat and vegetables.
All the dishes (small plates/bowls) came in pairs.  It was a different kind of dining or so I thought.  'Ewe Char Koay' (deep-fried batter), bean sprouts, and two eggs boiled in herbs.  It was so neat; the portion was good for one person per plate.
The aroma of the dish drifted out and reached us before the bowl physically touched our table.  "Oh, it is Bak Kut Teh" I exclaimed.  Now I know what Rὸu gῠ chά meant. Rὸu gῠ meant (translated meat bone) and chά meant tea.  We had a good laugh.  Moreover, I thought there was something exotic from the name. The Rὸu gῠ chά (Bak Kut Teh) was good.  The meat was tender.  It did not seem over-boiled or overcooked.  I could still taste juice in the meat.  The broth was thick and full of flavor.  
The dry version of the Rὸu gῠ chά caught us by surprise.  After so many years of eating it in soup form, the dried version was interesting.  I thought it tasted like there were some salt fish added.  I did not ask.  Hubby tasted and told me there were fermented black bean in the dish (he thought).  He did not like the taste and thought it was rather over powering.  I enjoyed it right to the last bite. The ' deep-fried fu pei' (soy sheet) blended with the thick sauce gave it a very new kind of taste. I scrapped the bowl clean. It ended up with hubby taking the remaining bowl with soup.
Hubby decided to find out if the pastry sold was good.  He ordered a plate of sesame roll (rm4.80-two pieces). The pastry was not good.  It was tough, soggy and soaked with oil.  There was some kind of bean paste inside.  We decided not to try any more of the dessert.  We were actually quite full by then.
The above is a cute container of 'Kwai Ding Gou' (black herb jelly) and it came with the set. (Free)
The time spent at this restaurant was pleasant. The young waiters were friendly.  The place is small but neat and tidy.  I would definitely go back for the dry version.  Rὸu gῠ chά KiNG is located @ Lot 4-47, Penang Gurney Plaza, 10250 Penang. Tel: 04-2287187 :o)
**10% Service Charge.

No comments: