June 28, 2011

'Hoo Thau Bee Hoon' (Fish Head rice-noodles)

With the durians in season now, dinner is usually durians.  After the durian stint, both of us craved for something with soup.  Hubby suggested that we drive to Chew Kee.  We arrived at Chew Kee and as it was drizzling, we decided to go inside the kopi tiam (coffee shop).  We have been here a couple of times before but I have not written anything about this stall.  I decided to as I found out that there were no other stalls that served Hoo Thau Bee Hoon this good (to my liking).   
If it is not drizzling, you should seat yourself in front of this stall.  You will be 'entertained'  by this husband and wife team.  They do not stop bickering and I found them to be amusing.  Another thing, be prepared for their attitude. They can be rude at times and, remember to tell them where you are seated.  They tend not to pay attention.  Ah Chek and Ah Ee (uncle and auntie) overlooked our orders as we were seated inside the 'kopi tiam'.
The 'Chau Hor Fun' (fried flat rice noodle) arrived and the aroma soothed every angry nerves in me. In the picture, the flat noodles are hidden.  Ah Chek fried every plate of hor fun individually and  'kau hueh' (enough heat).  Ooh, it was aromatic and smoky in taste.  The meat, prawns, liver and jiu hoo (cuttlefish) were so fresh I wished I had asked for extras.  The gravy was not too thick (I hate too much cornstarch) and not too liquid.  It was just nice and tasty.  The only thing that was missing was the egg.  Hubby decided to try it without the egg.  I thought it was a bad idea.
The 'Hoo Thau Bee Hoon' (Fish Head Rice Noodles) was what made us drive all the way down to town.  Ah Chek ran out of fish meat by the time we reminded him of our order.  We settled for the fish head instead.  After all, as hubby said, it is Hoo Thau Been Hoon.  I preferred the fish meat but had no choice.   The bowl of noodles arrived.  I took a bite of the crispy, well-seasoned pieces of fish head and wow, it was a good choice.  The pieces of fish head were well deep-fried and it tasted fantastic.  The stock was what made this stall different. The sweetness was not from sugar or MSG added.  It was from slow boiling of pig bones to make the stock.
As I devoured the noodles and pieces of fish head, I pointed out to hubby.  What made the bowl of noodle so special (stock aside) were the generous pips of sautéed garlic and pieces of ginger.  It added oomph to the simple bowl of soup noodles.  We finished every single bit served.
Look. I did not lie. We finished every single bit of everything.  Oh, we could not chew the fish bones or it would be gone too.  We both felt so satisfied. :o)
Chew Kee is located quite near the T-junction of Chulia Street and Carnarvon Street. It is at the end of Carnarvon Street and along the same road as Teksen.  This stall closes on every Wednesdays and Thursdays.  That is how good the business is.

3 comments:

Nava.K said...

The fish head noodles is my type of food, lovely it looks.

Bubbles...ooo said...

Yes. :o)

Chia Chong said...

Here in Penang, we eat CHF without egg. This is our culture.