February 28, 2010

Badam Milk....for energy !!

We have been to Restaurant Kapitan before many times for their popular dish the 'Ayam Nasi Bryani. I noticed something new tonight. The energy booster drink stall. I was so enthralled by this new drink I totally forgot about taking any pictures for the food we came for.....the chicken bryani rice.
This is the Badam Milk stall. Believe it or not, I thought Badam is some fancy name given to the milk until I checked it out. Badam is almond in the Indian language. It is Almond Milk! How silly. I was coaxed by this young man here in the picture to give the milk a try. Yes, I was quite apprehensive. This is something new to me. He gestured with his hands showing me strong and kept saying 'bagus' (meaning good) and 'try'. I thought I'd give it a shot. It has to be good. I could see he was busy serving the in-customers and there were some waiting for their take-away.
I ordered a glass. It is actually hot, sweet milk. It isn't just plain sweet milk. It is actually made up of cashew nuts, raisins and if I'm not mistaken, there are grapes too because I chewed on one. Ground almonds and saffron strands are also added in the making of this milk. Almond milk is an energy giving drink and provides you with Vitamin E. I think the protein in the almond is the reason why it is an energy booster drink here. I quite liked the drink, an acquired taste I would like to say. I do not have a sweet tooth and was lucky in a way when I told the boy I don't want the syrup which he was about to add to the drink. It really is very sweet on its own. I am not sure if this drink is served in other restaurants but having it cooked there and then, I think Restaurant Kapitan is the only place you can find it. Drop by if you fancy a glass or need some energy. :o)
Restaurant Kapitan
Lorong Pitt (opp King Street)
Penang

4 comments:

Rengam Boy said...

I have not come across almond drink. Perhaps I should concoct one for myself.Interesting drink.
TQ for sharing.

Bubbles...ooo said...

Hmmm, that makes 2 of us. Aren't we so 'unhappening'? Yeah, think you should concoct your own drink maybe.....maybe you will set a trend eh? All the best. :o)

Kenzo said...

hello^^ wow...lot of great meals! when going to take me there to have a delicious food! =D

Bubbles...ooo said...

Hello Ken, take you there? Ermmmm...u r supposed to read and then go check out the place no? Anyway, will take u one day okay? :o)