January 12, 2010

Chin Bee Tea Restaurant...

"I'm taking you to a new place for dinner tonight." Aren't those wonderful words to a wife? Yeah, it was to mine. Hubby took me to Noordin Street tonight. 'Ji Tiau Lor' as what we Penangites call the road. The name of this little eatery, Chin Bee is the name. Chin Bee has been around for about 1 year plus. A restaurant co-owned by a husband, wife team and the chef. From the outside, all you see is a terrace house decorated with a Chinese looking roof. The inside of this place is done in simple decor. It is brightly lit and good as it enables you to do some reading (remember to bring some reading material) whilst waiting for your food.
Chin Bee is a Tea house with different types of tea available. Hubby ordered the Ti Kuan Yin. Something light and fragrant. We couldn't order much tonight as there are only the two of us and I wasn't particularly hungry.
Hubby wanted fish so the owner recommended the Clay pot fish (Sar Poh). I must admit this is one good recommendation. The way this clay pot fish is prepared is different. The slices of fish has been deep fried (in lard) before further cooking. There is some deep fried tofu, carrots, snow peas, shitake mushrooms, etc. Hubby described it better. He said oh my, this dish has got oomph! The gravy is so full of seasoning you wouldn't want to leave even a drop behind. Believe you me, I felt hungry suddenly. Heeheee. In the picture you can see a scoop of the clay pot fish.
If you like Hainan Chicken rice, you've got to try this dish. A plate of boiled chicken Hainan style. The chicken is cooked, tender and oozing with juice. The Chef's concoction of light soy sauce and
sesame seed oil that the chicken comes dribbled
with makes you want to order any plate and just eat it on its own.
Oh, the other thing. The chili dip. The infamous chili dip that comes with such kind of chicken. This place's chili dip is a must try. It isn't like most places where chili boh is used. Here, it is fresh chili pounded with garlic and ginger.
I never have any dinner without my vegetables. Hubby said I should try their asparagus since asparagus isn't particularly my favourite. He thought I'd change my mind after I eat these twigs as I like to refer asparagus as. Gees, they are good! The asparagus is young and the sambal they are fried in, I'd give this dish a 10. The sambal is fresh and so fragrant. The last bit, the prawns; yes medium sized prawns are used. We will be back for their specialty, the pork ribs plus others, of course! :o)
**Chin Bee is located at 124 Lebuh Noordin, Penang. Tel 04-2611761
Closed on Wednesdays

No comments: