July 31, 2009

Japanese food in Penang? Try Sumida....

This is my second visit to Sumida, a Japanese Restaurant in Penang. One quite brightly lit restaurant and I find it good. Good in the sense you can at least read some novel or newspapers while you wait for your food.
Besides the lighting, the interior is quite well planned. Nice soft friendly look with the wood used. Lights, tables and even the partitions.
Hubby and I took the tatami seating area. This is only time I opt for the tatami area. See from the picture here, there is ample leg room. You can put both your feet down because the tatami area is built differently.

As age catches up do you notice that it is rather hard to uncurl your legs and stand up after a meal? heeeheee...
Hubby ordered the mackerel pike and deep fried dumplings. (Sanma kasa-yaki & age gyoza). I took a little bite and oh, it is so nicely grilled. No fishy taste, very nicely seasoned and fresh!

I ordered the butter fried salmon and deep fried chicken. (Salmon bata-yaki & Tori karage) but the owner recommended the butter fried white tuna.
Oh, it was such a good recommendation. You can taste the freshness of the white tuna. Very lightly fried in butter and the taste is sweet not as in sugar but as in the sweetness of the fish. The mentioned meal comes in bento boxes. In the box besides the main dish, you get pototo salad (Japanese style), some greens dressed in thousand island sauce and two kinds of Japanese pickles.
Chawan-mushi (steamed egg Japanese style) is included together with miso soup and dessert.
This is one restaurant that serves Japanese food quite close to a hotel standard.
I'm a fetish where tempura is concerned. I will never give it a miss and I (okay a bit biased in judgement passed) always decide on my next impending visit by...the taste of the way the tempura is prepared. This is one restaurant I would return. This is already my 2nd visit no? Take a look at the tempura sauce here. Lots of chopped radishes in it. This is what I say generous. I am smiling as I typed this. Something I have to mention here. The owner of this restaurant got a bit worried (or is she?) when she asked the reason why I was taking pictures. Am I doing a food write-up or blog, or...? I told her that I'm doing my 'everyday life blog'. She wasn't quite friendly after that. Was she worried about what I would write? Only this.... this is one restaurant I would recommend if you really love Japanese food and don't want to pay 5-star hotel price. Sumida was used to be at Penang Mutiara Hotel and they were there for 15 years. :o)

1 comment:

Shan said...

yum. your blog makes me hungry! love your descriptions of food and the photos!